Monday, March 3, 2014

Rang-Birangi - The colors of life


Art has been a constant in my life as far back as I can remember - and the credit goes to my parents for instilling this love in me at an early age.  My earliest memories are of me and my sis spending hours drawing abstract patterns on the concrete floor with little pieces of chalk.  Then later I learnt drawing and painting from a couple of teachers who taught kids in the neighborhood.  In the course of my art classes, I dabbled in water colors as well as oils.  I don't possess any of the paintings any more - all my oils were given away as gifts to friends. 

At home, art was everywhere.  My dad had an eclectic collection of art from all over India and elsewhere.  He was an amateur photographer as well and had a keen aesthetic sense.  Frames on the walls of our house often showcased interesting photos clipped from magazines, artistically backed and mounted.  Even the accent wall in our living room was painted by my father in a deep shade of blue, with a white border all around.  As a child, I was totally surprised by that choice, but in a very pleasant way.  In addition to traditional forms of art like Madhubani, Warli, etc., his art collection included the works of many contemporary artists.  My mom was artistic in her own right and shared a deep sense of appreciation for all things beautiful.  I remember her providing critical feedback to my father on his photographs.  

Just recently, having come across some really cool contemporary interpretations of traditional subjects in the tribal Madhubani style, I was inspired to create something of my own from scratch.  A lot of it was also inspired by my kids' fascination with art and beautiful things.  This was the first attempt at Madhubani that my daughter and I worked on in the course of an afternoon.  Typical subject for this style of art, but I like to think it has a contemporary touch to it.  The colors were filled in by my little one, since she doesn't like to "draw", only likes to "color"!


Surya Devata:
Meri khidki ke kone se jhAnkta hua suraj,
Yeh Seattle ki makhmali dhoop ki kiraNein hain...
Ya bAdalon se Ankh-micholi khelte hue sainkdon ratn?







   The second attempt was with a more contemporary theme of "Snapshots of Seattle", while using the Madhubani style to render it.  

Can you spot these special things that make the PNW (Pacific North West) such a beautiful place to live in?  The Seattle sun, which when shining makes everything absolutely light up.  Mt. Rainier, with the Space Needle in profile.  The lush, evergreen forests.  Abundant sea-life.  The waves of the Pacific Ocean and the myriad lakes that dot the landscape.  And last but not least, the beautiful tulips of Skagit Valley.




  I am grateful for the deep love of all things beautiful that make life so much more colorful and interesting.  I truly believe that this is a precious gift that allows one to stop and revel in the beauty of seemingly ordinary, mundane things around us.  I hope that by creating some original art with my little kids, I can plant the seed of this sense of aesthetic...that will open their eyes to a whole new world of wonder and imagination!

- All images subject to copyright -

No comments:

Post a Comment