Saturday, March 8, 2014

Rites of passage

Just got back from dropping little A at a friend's place for a playdate and sleepover.  Older A has been having sleepovers quite regularly for a while now.  Can't remember the first time I sent him for one, but don't think I was this antsy?  Perhaps it has to do with the little one being the baby of  the family...literally and figuratively.  I think older A was actually around the little one's age when he went for his first sleepover...but this is somehow different.  Is it because the older one was a boy and little A is a girl?  Much as I like to think that they are both equal to me in all respects and able to do what the other can do in all areas, this experience makes me jittery and on edge.  I see her little teddy and feel the anxiety of separation start to well up inside me.

To her credit, little A was just fine.  She was happy, playing with her friends.  I only sensed (or was it just my imagination running wild?) a little hesitation when I kissed her goodbye before I left.

Sigh - she is just 5 minutes away, at a good friend's house.  And there are other kids sleeping over as well.  Perhaps it is the feeling of letting go...the first in a series. A definite rite of passage.  I'm sure the next time won't be this hard!

To getting wings and flying!

This is a picture of little A's hand, clinging to my mom's saree when she was about six months old.


No comments:

Post a Comment